On Thursday, January 16th, 2020 at approximately 8:51 AM, Officers responded to The Resource Center on Lakeshore Drive for a report of a stolen motor vehicle. While investigating the incident, the vehicle was observed traveling eastbound on Lakeshore Drive. Officers located the SUV and attempted to stop the vehicle on West Third Street. The operator of the vehicle refused to stop and led Officers on a pursuit which eventually left the City of Dunkirk, returning into the City several minutes later. At approximately 9:30 AM, the pursuit came to an end on Franklin Avenue and the suspect, Dustin S. Barrett, age 25, of Dunkirk, NY was taken into custody. Barrett was charged with multiple vehicle and traffic charges, along with several penal law charges. The Dunkirk Police was assisted by the New York State Police, Fredonia Police and the Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Department.
Barrett was arraigned in Dunkirk City Court and was released as per New York State Bail Reform.
- Multiple New York State Vehicle and Traffic violations
- Aggravated Unlicensed Operation of a Motor Vehicle in the Second Degree
- Reckless Endangerment in the 1st degree (D Felony)
- Grand Larceny in the 3rd degree (D Felony), 2 Counts
- Unlawful fleeing in a motor vehicle (A Misdemeanor)
- Criminal Possession of a weapon in the 4th degree (A Misdemeanor)
- Grand Larceny in the 4th degree (E Felony)
- Criminal Possession of Stolen Property in the 4th Degree (E felony)