The City of Dunkirk Police Department is issuing the following safety reminders to everyone during the Thanksgiving Holiday.
- Please plan properly for trips by checking the weather and road conditions.
- Allow plenty of time to reach your destination, take frequent breaks while driving. Keep your gas tank full and cell phone charged for emergencies.
- Be prepared to adjust driving as the road conditions change
- Always wear seatbelts and please make sure children are in a child safety seat. It’s a proven fact that seatbelts and child safety seats save lives.
- Keep an emergency pack in the vehicle including blankets, water, snacks and a flashlight.
- Do not drive while texting or talking on your cell phone (except in case of an emergency). This is very distracting, dangerous and it is also illegal.
- We wish for everyone to enjoy the holiday with family and friends but if you have celebrated too much and can’t safely operate a vehicle please don’t. Designate a safe driver ahead of time or call for a ride. Please don’t create a tragedy as your remembrance of this holiday. True friends won’t let someone they love get behind the wheel or get into a vehicle with someone if they can’t safely operate it.
- If you encounter reckless operators do not confront them, pull off the road and call 911 with the description and direction of travel.
- If you are going to be out of town for an extended period of time please take advantage of our House Watch program. Details can be found by stopping at the Police Station, calling the Police Desk at 366-2266 or by visiting the forms section on our Department website dunkirkpolice.com
- Please keep an eye on what is going on in your Neighborhood. If you see or hear something out of the ordinary please call the Police Desk at 366-2266 or 911 and let us send an Officer to check it out.
The Dunkirk Police Department wishes everyone a happy and safe Thanksgiving Holiday.